Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Vision ability Workshop:

My observations after the vision workshop made me realize just how frustrating it would be to have a visual impairment and people who do have these deficiencies are therefore very patient. Things were very blurry and hard to make out clearly such as reading the newspaper seemed impossible with the glasses on. bright lights and signs were more visible but not necessarily defined. People were shadows far away and even when they were closer they still seemed blurry and it was hard to tell when people were looking at you and such. Contrasting colors such as red really stood out against a neutral flooring to me on my walk. Overall light and contrast were the biggest factors that guided me throughout different spaces. I remember at the elevator I had to get really close to the buttons to even make out what was up from down. The whole experience during this workshop made me feel a little a dizzy and even at times nauseous. At the WSECU ATM it was very hard to see the buttons 1-3 because they were hidden by a cover that cast a dark shadow over the key pad. There was no Braille to help identify anything but there was red, green, and black markings for the cancel, enter and OK buttons. The sketch above shows the library stairs that include tactile black markings to help the visually impaired feel and see the contrast between the neutral step coloring and the edge of each step.

No comments:

Post a Comment