Monday, March 29, 2010

Scotish/Irish Inspired Quilt Pattern





This is an Irish and Scottish heritage inspired pattern that reflects religion, fashion and history of these two cultures. The basic design pattern originates from a traditional Irish chain quilt block, using light and dark fabrics to create this contrasting look. The two different plaid patterns used represent the kilt that both cultures identify with, however the tartan fabric was first used as a fashion statement in Scotland, using a wide variety of colors. The Irish Celtic knot displayed in the center signifies a “shield knot,” which is said to offer protection form evil spirits. Overall the color scheme represents the green four leaf clovers of Ireland and the red tones stand for the Scotland red lion shown in the corners.
This quilt pattern was made in Photo shop and was fun to construct but frustrating at times. Ultimately I need to learn and practice more with Photo shop and just understand how it works a lot better. This design concept was not exactly what I had in mind but I am happy with the finished project. I like how the small squares come together to make one bigger square that is the same size as the center one. There are some little white areas that I did not want included in the design but I was having some minor difficulties with the program at that time figuring it all out by myself. Since this project was completed, I have used Photo Shop more regularly so I will keep learning new tricks to better my work. I did not like how the red was not as vivid as I would have liked it to have been then in the plaid, but I like how it turned out and created more tones to add to the complementary color scheme. Incorporating the two different heritages in this pattern proved a challenge but I believe I balanced both of them equally enough to create a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment